You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2014 12:44 pm  #1

crying while singing BREATHTAKING (m)

So...this was the first song ever to make me cry.it was 2002.I found a cassette of the les miz original London cast and listened to it and Michael ball's rendition of this song had me in floods without having ever seen the show.

Now on film though,eddie something or other, weeps his way through the song without missing a note and it is one if the most beautiful things I have ever seen or heard. His singing is less vocally powerful than one usually hears in the stage version, but for the intimacy of film it works perfectly. His voice is so beautiful and he's crying his eyes out while doing it. As a singer I have mad respect for him. Never mind the acting aspect where he is able to convey such a raw grief on camera, but do you know how hard it is to sing well while crying? Throat gets tight, nose gets stuffy, breath control becomes very difficult. This guy has amazing technique to be able to pull this off with such effect.

Last edited by inmyarms (April 11, 2014 12:02 am)

Tears are the last gift of true love.

April 15, 2014 5:28 pm  #2

Re: crying while singing BREATHTAKING (m)

This is one of the saddest songs ever and Redmayne does an amazing job. 
Same film, Hugh Jackman also crying while singing "What Have I Done" (gets going at 2:05; video's a little choppy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP31L6AhB3M

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

April 17, 2014 2:42 am  #3

I remember that scene but it doesn't pack quite the same emotional wollup

May 4, 2014 8:12 pm  #4

Oh yes, big applause to Eddie Redmayne in that "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" scene! It was such an amazing job to cry while singing. I can't even talk when I cry, but he could sing with such a powerful voice without missing a note or cracking his voice while crying! I'm always in awe whenever I see that scene.

May 4, 2014 9:13 pm  #5

It's amazing and the crying was real, you could tell with such an intense close up.

May 4, 2014 9:16 pm  #6

My biggest issue is that when I cry my nose starts to ruin like a faucet before the years even get going. Id either be dripping snot it sniffing feverishly. Neither of which is conducive to nice singing.

June 8, 2014 2:15 am  #7

I just recently saw Eddie Redmayne in "Birdsong", there was a very lovely scene where his character, a young man in WWI, has just been told the woman he loved died, and left behind a child. He'd sworn he never wanted to have children, so finding out he has a 7 year old daughter really floors him.

It's such a moving thing, watching him go from blank, to incredulous, to stunned, to sobbing. I wish I could find the video - it would definitely go on my playlist!

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

June 10, 2014 8:24 pm  #8

oh please look forr it that sounds amazing.

Board footera