You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2015 2:40 am  #1

"Satisfying" crying scenes

What is it about a crying scene that makes it "satisfying" for you?  Is it the visual of the contorted face, or is the sound of the sobbing?

I'm much more auditory than visual, so for me it's the sound. Granted, there are crying scenes I find unsatisfying because they look "wrong" - over the top, or too understated. I'm MUCH pickier about the sound of a crying scene. It has to sound believable, and screeching, howling or keening too wildly will pull me out of the visceral enjoyment and I'll end up being analytical instead. In all honesty, it's hard for me to find a truly Satisfying cry scene. (One way to judge is to simply listen to it without the visuals, since they can distract. Vice, of course, is also versa.)

That being said, here are two scenes I find EXTREMELY satisfying. Both are from "The Man Who Cried" (based on the book by Catherine Cookson), starring Ciaran Hinds. The first scene is right at the beginning, as he's been stood up by his mistress. He stops by her house, only to run into a crowd out front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwgjvGB061o&list=PLVDM6pEmWEuXFrRTEMNlXFzOgwlewudy1&index=142

The second scene is the last scene in the movie, where he comes home after being sent to jail for bigamy. It starts around 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVq3ylb82h0&list=PLVDM6pEmWEuXFrRTEMNlXFzOgwlewudy1&index=143

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

August 1, 2015 11:20 am  #2

Re: "Satisfying" crying scenes

I have discovered (from finally analyzing it after years and years) that it has to, for starters:
-look real/believable
-not too "old" or unattractive a person

After those requirements are fulfilled:
-having the person crying be someone normally tough/stoic or that you would not expect to cry (this is the big one-HUGE)
-they can't be crying because of something stupid

And then the added bonus for me is the reason for the crying. What type of pain it is and how old the pain is. For example someone crying in the moment of something bad happening doesn't get me as much as them trying to talk about and remember old long buried pain.

So I guess for me neither visual or auditory is more important, I like both!- if possible. As long as it looks real. Because what makes it satisfying for me is meeting all these other requirements.

Last edited by Ella (August 1, 2015 11:26 am)

August 1, 2015 12:39 pm  #3

I'm like you Ella, in everything you've said. For me also is most attractive when the strong stoic attractive man breaks down crying for old pain buried deep inside. And for crying to be as real as possible. I know this topic is about the scenes on tv ect, but if it would be real situation, I would add the factor of trust. It's a huge thing for me. I love to be seen as a person people can trust to. So, it would be best if that crying would be shown only to me. But, I'm gone to another topic.
I prefer visible signs of crying more then a sound. I like to be able to catch the "crying expression". With tears and everything. I sometimes pause the scene when the face is mostly contorted and examine the expression. But, if we talk about the sound, I like quiet  manly sobbing.

Last edited by Kleo (August 1, 2015 12:40 pm)

"it doesn't take a lot of straingh to hang on, it takes a lot of straingh to let go" 

August 1, 2015 9:17 pm  #4

I agree with everything you guys have said.  Realistic, often times in a person who I wouldn't expect to cry over something significant.  I don't care about physical or sound, all are good.  I don't have a real strong preference for old buried pain over something horrible happening in the moment, but what I do love is the fight for control which eventually crumbles and they break down.  Often times that is more long burried pain, but it is definitely my favorite.

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

August 12, 2015 2:01 am  #5

Caircair, can't believe you know "The Man Who Cried"!  I love Ciaran Hinds in that.  His sobbing scene at the end is just incredible.  Goes from composed to basket case in a minute.  He also has a beautiful crying scene at the end of "Jane Eyre."  
As for what I like in a crying scene, I usually want to see real tears.  That said, if the emotion is there, but not full tears, I'm good with that.  Sounds of sobbing get to me, as that isn't something you often hear from men.  
Scenes that have amazed me, with tears just flowing, are Hugh Jackman, "The Fountain", David Lyons, "ER" and "Revolution", Clive Owen, "Trust", Michael Fassbender, "The Counselor", Ewan McGregor, "I Love You Philip Morris" (and "Moulin Rouge" and "The Impossible"; he's a champ), James McAvoy, "Filth", Shawn Ashmore, "The Following."  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

August 12, 2015 2:12 am  #6

I still haven't seen Fassbender in "The Counselor", but I loved his crying scene in "Shame".

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 6, 2016 3:05 am  #7

Colin Firth's crying scene as Bertie in The King's Speech is one of the most satisfying I've ever seen, first because it seems so inevitable in view of all that the character has been through, and second because Colin is such a "natural" actor that his crying seems natural rather than "stagey" or "acted."  In other words, there's no sense of him pausing or "gearing up" for the cry; instead, he simply dissolves into tears.  

Contributing to the inevitability effect, I think, is the fact that Colin's face is already a bit red and blotchy as the scene begins, suggesting that Bertie had been crying shortly before.  This bit of foreshadowing makes his breakdown moments later less of a surprise than it might otherwise have been.    

Last edited by White Tulip (March 6, 2016 3:05 am)

March 6, 2016 3:07 am  #8

Squonk wrote:

Caircair, can't believe you know "The Man Who Cried"!  I love Ciaran Hinds in that.  His sobbing scene at the end is just incredible.  Goes from composed to basket case in a minute.  He also has a beautiful crying scene at the end of "Jane Eyre."  
As for what I like in a crying scene, I usually want to see real tears.  That said, if the emotion is there, but not full tears, I'm good with that.  Sounds of sobbing get to me, as that isn't something you often hear from men.  
Scenes that have amazed me, with tears just flowing, are Hugh Jackman, "The Fountain", David Lyons, "ER" and "Revolution", Clive Owen, "Trust", Michael Fassbender, "The Counselor", Ewan McGregor, "I Love You Philip Morris" (and "Moulin Rouge" and "The Impossible"; he's a champ), James McAvoy, "Filth", Shawn Ashmore, "The Following."  

For male sobbing there's also Liam Neeson at the end of Schindler's List.  Absolutely heartrending. 

March 15, 2016 5:28 am  #9

The criteria for making my heart twist and my toes curl are pretty simple:
1: has to be a man (I leave the ladies to TorNorth)
2: who I might possibly find attractive, even if I don't currently feel any particular interest in the man
3: a scream to the heavens does not count, even if the eyes are filled with tears (sorry Man of Steel)

After that it becomes a matter of preference and individual factors. For example, I strongly prefer to see the face. It's not on the 'required' list because there are often other factors. For example, if I'm already attracted to the man and I see his face crumpling, oftentimes that's enough (for example, Mulder at the very end of X-Files third episode). Especially if there are sounds. And depending on the person and the sound and my mood, I don't even need to see the face. Near the end of the episode where Scully is hospitalized and near death after her abduction, Mulder does the slide down the wall thing in his apartment crying. it's a brief, low-lit scene and iirc you can't see much beyond a wide shot of his silhouette, but for me, that little scene was powerful.

It occurs to me that I could probably write a dissertation or at least a term paper on the instances of crying in the X-Files. Also fyi to TorNorth, Scully does plenty of crying too, particularly after Mulder's abduction.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

March 18, 2016 10:30 am  #10

There's this particular scene I'm thinking of, and I won't say what movie it's from because the movie itself is actually terrible, and it's not so much while he's actually in tears but rather the aftermath does it for me. He just has this kind of sick, uneasy look about him, can't quite seem to catch his breath or muster the energy to fully recompose himself, he just looks totally miserable. And I guess that's kind of what does it; I like to see the toll that it's taken on the person instead of cutting away or just having them bounce right back. 

But in regards to just the physical crying part, I looove it when you get the tears rolling totally unchecked. Also, I pay an odd amount of attention to the breathing. Shaky breathing (either when they're just about to cry or trying to calm themselves down) absolutely kills me in the best possible way. Also, if the person's hands shake. Good lord almighty. 

Board footera