You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2016 11:40 pm  #1

Richard Jordan in "Incident at Vichy"

An intense scene from a televised 1973 production of Arthur Miller's play Incident at Vichy, featuring the late actor Richard Jordan in the role of Prince von Berg.  Some of the most convincing weeping I've ever seen in a play:

March 23, 2016 1:15 am  #2

Re: Richard Jordan in "Incident at Vichy"

Nice find.  I wasn't aware of this one.  
Richard Jordan has a very moving, tearful speech in his final role in Gettysburg (starts about two minutes in):  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGFkW39Ljho

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

March 23, 2016 1:40 am  #3

Wow, it seems he was always a convincing crier, then.

I own the Incident at Vichy on DVD, and in fact there's another moment in it when the actor Rene Auberjonois appears to have tears on his cheeks following a quite intense scene.  Unfortunately, this one doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

March 23, 2016 1:52 am  #4

Actually, the moment I just referred to with Rene Auberjonois (one of my favorite actors, by the way) is on Youtube, after all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HuWL9FldyI

He begins to get choked up around 47:40, and then at 48:26 you can see tears starting from his eyes.

Last edited by White Tulip (March 23, 2016 1:56 am)

March 24, 2016 12:00 am  #5

Interesting!  I like Rene Auberjonois too, but have never seen him do heavy drama.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

March 24, 2016 12:36 am  #6

I too knew him only as a comic actor, but as you can see he's highly effective in this play.  He happens to have one of my all-time favorite speaking voices.

There's an interesting contrast, I feel, between the two scenes I posted.  To me it seems that Richard probably planned to cry when he did, whereas I get the sense that Rene's tears were more spontaneous and that they resulted simply from the intensity of the scene and of his own acting.

Last edited by White Tulip (March 24, 2016 12:54 am)

Board footera