You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2016 3:55 am  #1

Men's Vintage Pocket Watches

While I wouldn't exactly call this a fetish, I have long admired the type of pocket watch men wore in the 19th and early 20th centuries:  generally, a gold or silver watch at the end of a matching chain, attached to a vest and kept in the vest pocket.

I'm very into period drama, so I get to see these watches a lot, and undoubtedly it was period drama that inspired my interest in them.  I just think they look so elegant!  Here, for instance, is David Suchet as Hercule Poirot.  Note the watch chain:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/369506344399536763/

Can anyone here relate?

Last edited by White Tulip (March 24, 2016 4:00 am)

March 24, 2016 5:00 am  #2

Re: Men's Vintage Pocket Watches

Women wore them, too. I just gave the one that was given to my grandmother from her mother to my niece. I had it repaired and cleaned first, and it was from 1896! My other niece has the pocket watch that was given to my great aunt, so each niece has pocket watches from the same era. I used to wear mine on a black and gold cord as a necklace, but it kept getting banged against my desk and finally the crystal broke. Having the crystal replaced was the biggest pain, crystals for that era watch are REALLY hard to find.

It was a Waltham, model 1981, Serial # 7944210, engraved with "Love, Mother". You can see pictures here: http://www.ronsusser.com/inventory/listing/vintage-american-waltham-pocket-watch-model-1891-circa-1904-hunter-case/

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 24, 2016 2:28 pm  #3

Yes, I have seen photos of Victorian women wearing them; I think they were usually worn on the bodice of the dress.

I'd love to own a reproduction men's pocket watch and chain just as a decor/conversation piece (or maybe to use as a regular clock), but they're hard to find, even on the internet.  There was once site, now defunct, that sold them.  I'll have to search again.

I do have to admit that I go a bit crazy whenever I see men wearing pocket watches in period drama.  It was Poirot, I think, that first drew my attention to them and how elegant they look. 

March 24, 2016 9:20 pm  #4

When in doubt, eBay. If it's a decoration piece, you can buy one that isn't working for less.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

Board footera