You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2016 6:09 pm  #1

Jonathan Groff in "Looking"

Hopefully this link will play. It is Jonathan Groff in his HBO series, "Looking". It is a great show. In this clip, he is attending the funeral of his female friend's father, but this is after he has lost his love. He breaks down at the grave site after hearing her aunt read a poem by Walt Whitman, whom he himself has quoted in previous eps. 

What I love is you see some tears in his eyes, but I adore the sobbing. I just wish he had been able to be comforted. Enjoy! The scene starts at 16:09. 

http://lucktv.net/play.php?id=zmltwnnbz|melmemz

June 14, 2016 6:09 pm  #2

Re: Jonathan Groff in "Looking"

Great find!  The sobbing is really perfect; I love the sound of his breathing. 

June 14, 2016 7:21 pm  #3

Right? He is an excellent crier! I REALLY wish the scene were longer, though...or that I could be holding him! LOL...

June 15, 2016 1:01 am  #4

That was nice (though brief).  I love how people were turning and looking at him like he was doing something wrong.  Even at funerals people aren't supposed to cry openly.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

June 15, 2016 1:50 am  #5

Oh my word... I don't watch Looking, know not of this Jonathan Groff, but wow he was amazing in that scene. Just raw emotion there.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

June 15, 2016 5:13 am  #6

Oh, PhoebeOnThePhone - Jonathan Groff is a wonderful Broadway performer, most amazing voice. His latest role being King George in Hamilton. He started in Spring Awakening in his early 20s. He was also in The Normal Heart with Mark Ruffalo, and on Glee. He is Lea Michele's best friend in real life - ever since they starred together in Spring Awakening. Here is a link from that show where Groff, as Melchior, finds out his girlfriend Wendla has died from anemia (losing their child from a forced abortion from her parents), right after the death of his best friend, Moritz. Gotta love live theatre!

1. Off-Broadway version starts at 2:20  - and yes, that is a very young Lea Michele, as well! He cried throughout the song too - esp. hear it in his voice at 5:45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmmuPqZYyj4&list=PLAE9C396A1C018221&index=6 

2. Broadway version - starts at 2:45. His scream is primal. There are a bunch of differences in the performances, including his crying. Also, a clearer version. You can hear him sobbing while the others sing, too! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnanAZIVYn4&list=PLAE9C396A1C018221&index=24

Hope you all enjoy!!

June 20, 2016 4:29 pm  #7

That was beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

June 25, 2016 7:04 pm  #8

Thank you for those "Spring Awakening" clips.  I had no idea those existed.  I recently saw the Broadway revival twice and there was NO crying.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

June 26, 2016 6:38 pm  #9

Hi Squonk! How was there NO crying?! The whole point of the ending is Melchior's loss and the fact that he goes on!  I love Michael Arden (who directed it), and I am so disappointed that he didn't have the actor playing Melchior cry.  I feel that without the crying, the audiences have lost out on a superb scene, and great acting moment by the actor. What a shame.

June 26, 2016 9:59 pm  #10

I suppose there was brief crying, but so brief it didn't really register with me.
(I kind of tend to notice those things.) 
Certainly nothing like what Jonathan Groff did.  

Last edited by Squonk (June 26, 2016 10:00 pm)

Board footera