You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2013 2:05 am  #11

Re: Book crying scenes?

if any of y'all are into the classics, Vanity Fair by Thackery has enough tears for a fish pond!

Last edited by handkerchief (March 6, 2013 2:59 pm)

February 23, 2013 2:57 pm  #12

Sweet Valley High books are proper loaded with crying scenes. It's a challenge to find a book without crying in it

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

February 23, 2013 11:09 pm  #13

The Lady of the Camelias by Alexandre Dumas son has some very good  male crying scenes, very well described and detailed..
Great Expectations again, Pip's crying is amazing
Crime and Punishment , Rascolnikov's tears are the best )

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

February 25, 2013 3:02 pm  #14

Some of Charles Dickens' stories are so full of tears you just about have to swim through them.  Check out David Copperfield and The Old Curiousity Shop.

March 3, 2013 3:33 am  #15

I just remembered another scene that was VERY well done.  In Jean Auel's "In the Valley of the Horses", there's a scene where the hero Jondalar has been rescued from a cave lion by the heroine Ayla, unfortunately, Jondalar's brother wasn't so lucky.  She takes him back to her cave and looks after him - treats his wounds, etc. - but since she doesn't speak his language when he comes to they have to rely on gestures to get their point across.  Once the hero is awake he asks about his brother.  After a few gestures, she gets the gist of what he's trying to say, and she gets a look of sad sympathy on her face - which tells him all he needs to know, and he breaks down sobbing.

This is the sequel to "The Clan of the Cave Bear" - in which Ayla (a Cro Magnon girl) is taken in by a Neanderthal tribe.  A great deal of the book is about how Ayla tries very hard to fit in with the Neanderthal, but she has some strange habits that they don't understand.  For example, they don't speak verbally, but use a gesture language.  And the Neanderthal don't cry tears, whereas Ayla does.

So when Jondalar is crying, Ayla is stunned because, up until now, she thought she was the only person who was capable of tears.  At this point she realizes that, while she was different from the Neanderthal, there are other people that are more like her - HER people.

All told, there are five books in the series, and there is quite a lot of crying by both Ayla and Jondalar - plus various others.  The books are interesting but somewhat repetitive - I have to give the series a B minus to C plus for writing style - but Jondalar's first crying scene is definitely an A super-plus!

Last edited by caircair (March 3, 2013 9:17 am)

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

July 5, 2016 5:05 am  #16

One scene that comes to mind occurs in an 18th century novel by Fanny Burney called Evelina.  As a college English major I loved this novel, though I have not read it since, which is why I'm now fuzzy about the details.  All I can remember about the scene is that it involved the title character, an adopted teenage girl, weeping over a major disappointment (I think she'd found out that her real parents didn't want her?) and her guardian, an older gentleman, embracing and comforting her.  I remember it as a very sweet and touching scene, and I'll be sure to post an excerpt when I do pick up Evelina again.

Last edited by White Tulip (July 5, 2016 5:11 am)

July 21, 2016 3:37 am  #17

One of the reasons I love Cassandra Clare's writing so much is that there's a lot of the hurt/comfort aspect with main female characters comforting males.  The Mortal Instruments has this a lot (especially in the later books, if I remember correctly); the love interest character thinks of himself as a terrible person, and so she has to reassure him he's not and, as the story goes on, teach him to open up to her and not bottle up his feelings.  I can't remember how much he actually cries, but that whole situation is just delicious.  

Board footera