You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2012 2:17 am  #1

More comforting than crying, but...

I absolutely love this scene from Atonement. (starts at 1:30 ish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFHPI8iLV04
Basically, these two people fell in love very quickly, then the man was falsely accused of rape and went to prison for four years and now he's in the army (WWII) and he's seeing her again for the first time. I love how he stops stirring his tea and hangs his head a little (2:15) when she puts her hand on his. I really like that she does that, too, she's allowing him to pretend to be normal in the busy restaurant, but still comforting him and letting him lean on her. I LOVE his voice at 2:40, it's starting to come out, and at 3:30 he can't really hold it in anymore. I love it when a man says, "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" when he's crying or about to cry. His face at 3:44 is wonderful, and she keeps helping him save face, she helps him be strong. That's what I love doing. Just being the one he can lean on. He gives this wonderful little pained noise at 3:54. Then she holds her hand to his face and he goes to meet it, very slightly, and looks like he needs to cry again. I would love to put my hand on his face here, I can imagine the heat of the unshed tears.

Sorry to go on and on, but this scene is pretty much everything I love about comforting.

Last edited by meantangerine (March 13, 2012 2:25 am)

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

March 16, 2012 2:28 am  #2

Re: More comforting than crying, but...

Oh my God, I love that. James McAvoy is my favorite and that scene is just... amazing.

Board footera