You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2018 3:46 pm  #1

Wedding Day

We haven't had a wedding fiction yet, traditionally the scene for tears so here is one for you. You have met some of the characters before.

"Evie. I need you to go downstairs with Claire and Hayley." I told my young niece. "I'm waiting for Daniela."

"Okay." Evelyn agreed and went off with my two bridesmaids down the stairs to the Great Hall.

I was alone for the first time that day, a private moment before the most important event of my life. The day I get married.

I was feeling a state of nervous excitement, excited that the hour had come but slightly nervous as the seriousness of what I was about to do had been brought home to me when the registrar had met with me half an hour ago to go over the paperwork.

I had met my wife to be when I had taken part in a TV programme called 'Faking It' for CH4. The premise of the show was an expert in a specific field would teach a novice their skill and hope to fool a panel of judges from the same specific field.

I was asked to teach a lawyer called Ian Hedges how to speedrun Doom, or to be accurate just a single nine map episode. I enjoyed my experience and it was during this month of recording that I met his daughter's best friend.

I didn't intend to fall in love, but it happened and our relationship was a lovely one. After three years together Daniela proposed and I happily excepted.

I felt a hand slowly slide into mine and I knew my fiancee had arrived. Her bridesmaids Caitlin and Christina went downstairs to give us a minute.

We were both wearing the same wedding outfit; Black court shoes, morning stripe skirt, grey waistcoat and black tail coat with a black bow tie. My hair was tied back with a hair clip and a topsy tail and Daniela's was in a simple updo.

"So did you do the tied dickie bow in the end." Daniela asked.

"Of course." I replied. "You know me I love a good challenge." Saying the word 'love' to my future wife on a day that simply wouldn't have been possible four and a half years ago caused tears to well in my eyes. Daniela wiped them with a tissue and gave me a silent hug.

"Let's go get married" she said. Hand in hand we walked down the stairs towards the room where the ceremony was going to take place.

The bridal party got into formation; The first row was Hayley and Caitlin, the second was Claire and Christina. Behind the bridesmaids was my niece Evelyn who was acting as the flowergirl and me and Daniela brought up the rear.

"Please be upstanding for the bridal party" the toastmaster announced.

The bridesmaids moved forward but Evelyn seemed unsure of what to do next.

"Evie, your next honey." I told her. My niece jumped adorably to the polite request and we followed her into the room.

The officiant invited everyone to sit down and after the introductions we had a reading by Daniela's Aunt Sharon who read a passage from Romeo and Juliet's balcony scene. After she had finished we reached the first part of the ceremony. Turning to me first the officiant asked;

"Lynn Helena Marquand, are you free lawfully to marry Daniela Wyatt."

"I am." I replied.

"Daniela Wyatt, are you free lawfully to marry Lynn Helena Marquand."

"I am." Daniela told him. I could see over her shoulder her best friend Caitlin was starting to get emotional.

"Lynn Helena Marquand, do you take Daniela Wyatt to be your wife." The officiant asked.

"I do." I told him a tear escaping down my face before I could catch it.

"Daniela Wyatt, do you take Lynn Helena Marquand to be your wife."

"I do." Daniela told him with tears in her eyes. Using my own tissue I tenderly wiped them away, while Daniela wiped my escaped tear.

We sat down for the second reading which was delivered by my Uncle Jo. It was a poem he had heard in an episode of an American TV series called Dawsons Creek. I had never heard of the show personally but the text of the poem particularly the bit where he said that 'love unspoken was the loudest sound of all' brought the tears back into my eyes.

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

April 29, 2018 4:15 pm  #2

Re: Wedding Day

After Uncle Jo's reading it was time for the vows and the exchanging of rings. Daniela's father placed the rings on the cushion that Evelyn was holding and Daniela picked one of them and placed it on my ring finger.

"Lynn, I give you this ring as a token of our marriage." she said reading off a prepared card. "I promise to join my life with yours in a world that sometimes tells us we shouldn't be together so we can create a bright and happy home." She briefly stopped as her voice cracked with emotion. Behind her Caitlin had tears running down her cheeks and Daniela's sister Christina also had tears in her eyes too.

"I will honour and cherish our relationship for as long as we both shall live." Daniela finished wiping away another pair of tears before they fell.

It was now my turn. I took the final ring and taking my vows out of my pocket started to read. I had to stop a couple of times too to wipe my tears away but I managed to finish them.

"Daniela, I give you this ring as a token of our marriage. I promise to be by your side, to always support you and keep you strong, in good times and in bad and to take you up on your offer to watch a sunset. I will honour and cherish our relationship for as long as we both shall live."

Christina now had tears running down her cheeks and I could hear a sob coming behind me from Hayley.

"By the power invested in me, I pronounce you partners in marriage." The officiant announced. "You may seal your vows with a kiss."

Tenderly me and Daniela kissed to a chorus of claps and then it was time to sign the register. When this had been completed, our pianist played the wedding march from The Little Mermaid as we walked back down the aisle and outside into the grounds

Last edited by reptongeek (May 17, 2018 10:57 am)

May 17, 2018 11:33 am  #3

Before the photos, Aunt Sharon had the job of touching up our make-up. A not inconsiderable job since all six of us had cried at some point. She did me and Daniela first then moved onto my bridesmaids.

"Heavens above Lynn." my older sister Vanessa said to me wiping away her tears."Why didn't you tell me today was going to be so emotional." A second pair of tears streamed down her face as she said this prompting another wipe of her cheeks.

As we got ready for the photos, I happened to notice that things were not all that well between my brother David and his wife Cassie. Well I say wife but actually my brother and my sister in law had separated two years ago. I had broken my left hand in a freak accident at work, and although it had healed sufficiently for me to do basic tasks, I'd lost the reflexes and dexterity in my fingers which meant I couldn't speedrun anymore.

My grief at the loss of my beloved hobby was made worse when Cassie's very religious mother had said my injury was a 'punishment from God for my sin'. My brother had got so cross it had caused a wedge in his marriage that clearly hadn't healed. Cassie's mum had passed away a month ago and from what Vanessa had told me, David hadn't been the most supportive person at the funeral.

"I don't think Cass is going to be our sister in law for much longer." I whispered to Daniela, after she confidentially asked me if everything was okay. Like me she had noticed the bad vibes between the couple.

We didn't have long before we got swept up in the Wedding celebrations again. We both made the rounds of our guests meeting up with Ian first then moving onto my form tutor and science teacher from high school.

"You're not at school now Lynn.". Mr Sheraton reminded me with a grin. "You are allowed to call me by my first name."

"Sorry Jim." I apologised. "Force of Habit."

"I see Claire and Jeremy are still together." he noted.

"They met up again quite recently." I explained. "They didn't continue dating after the prom, but their relationship didn't start until six months ago."

Me and Daniela continued to circulate among the guests until the call for the wedding breakfast came.

September 9, 2018 1:00 pm  #4

"I didn't know your Uncle Jo was a Formula 1 fan." Daniela said to me as we waited outside the room to be called in.

"He was." I confessed "Not so much now though. Why?"

"Chris was explaining that Dad missed her birth because he was watching a sports event." Daniela explained. "It had overrun apparently. Your Uncle suggested he might have been watching the Belgian Grand Prix"

We both heard our Toastmaster asking everybody to be upstanding for our arrival and we walked hand in hand to our table. There were six smaller tables named after places me and my new wife had visited while we had been dating such as Brimham Rocks and Rievaulx Abbey. The top table was named after Littondale Hall the hotel where the wedding was taking place.

We both took our seats and it was time for the speeches

Claire stood up first

"There are many things me and Hayley can say about Lynn." she said. "But I think only one need suffice. She was the sister we never had."

I was really moved by this statement and it was hard to not let my eyes fill with tears again.

"I'm proud to be here to celebrate her special day." Claire continued. She raised her glass in celebration. "To Lynn and Daniela."

"To Lynn and Daniela."

Christina stood up next, giving a couple of funny anecdotes about her and Daniela growing up and then her and Claire read out the wedding cards including a brief message from Cassie's father who although grieving for his wife still managed to wish us all the happiness in the world.

Ian finally stood up to add a few remarks.

"When the senior partner of my firm went round asking if anyone would like to be part of a TV show, most of us declined." he recounted. "This less sensible fellow volunteered."

Ian paused to let the laughter die away.

"Although my career as a speedrunner sadly didn't last, something else very much did. And four years on I am proud to celebrate the union of two people who have become like family to me."

Ian raised his own glass to toast us and afterwards the meal began

November 22, 2018 2:13 pm  #5

Not from Lynn Marquand's personal narrative

Hayley had taken advantage of the break between the main course and desert to buy a drink from the bar.

She'd just accepted her glass of wine from the barman when she turned round and noticed Lynn's brother David looking at her.

It had been eight and a half years since the two had spoken. They had broken up after David had a one night stand with Cassie that resulted in her being pregnant with Evelyn.

This event had shocked Hayley to the core, leaving her utterly devastated. They had been dating for five years and she had believed that one day she would be married to him.

"You straightened your hair." David said awkwardly. "It looks nice"

Oh my god Hayley thought to herself angrily as tears spiked in her eyes You tore my heart into a million pieces and that's all you can say to me

"You should be with your wife." she told him icily.

"Cassie isn't my wife." David replied. "Not anymore, we divorced a fortnight ago."

Hayley felt suddenly cold as if someone had dumped a bucket of water on her head.

"She's only just buried her mother." she said. "Have you no common decency."

David didn't answer, just looked defiant. Hayley didn't recognize him. This wasn't the person she fell in love with. The person she was still in love with.

"Does Lynn know?" she asked a tear escaping down her cheek.

"No, Cassie decided it would be best if we didn't mention it until after the wedding."

He paused before adding;

"You aren't going to tell her are you?"

"She's my best friend." Hayley told him. "Like Claire said in her wedding speech we love her like a sister. I can't keep something like this a secret."

"Hayley please" David begged. "Don't tell her"

December 11, 2018 2:58 pm  #6

Just before dessert was served I happened to notice that Hayley came back in looking very upset.

And then David came back in. I wasn't stupid I know he had spoken to her and shot him a brief glare.

We were halfway through our dessert when Chris our Toastmaster came across to us

"I've got some bad news." he told me and Daniela. "The singer you booked for the dance isn't coming. His manager cancelled the booking because it was for a same sex wedding. He apologizes and says he has to be honest and follow his beliefs."

Me and Daniela shared a look. Although same sex weddings had been accepted by many people it was still problematic for some which increased our problems when planning our wedding. Jeremy for instance had to be assigned to do our Wedding Video at the last minute for this same reason.

"With respect the time to be honest was at the time of the booking, not on the day of the ceremony." I told him. Chris nodded in agreement

"Aunt Sharon has a copy of the music." Daniela told him "It's in order you just need to start from the first track."

Chris thanked us and left to sort it out. We linked hands for a moment determined not to let it spoil our day.

At the announcement of the first dance we both took to the floor and to the soft strains of Elton John's Your Song we quietly and slowly danced to the music. Even though it was a recording on a CD we both found it quite emotional and by the time the music faded away our cheeks were streaked with tears. We wiped them away and shared a tender hug. And in that moment I didn't want to be anywhere else

December 19, 2018 11:44 am  #7

The warm glow of our day was still there the following morning as we had breakfast in our room. It was just a simple breakfast of juice, muesli, green tea and a two complimentary frosted glasses of bucks fizz.

We were just tucking in when Daniela's phone rang.

"Morning newlyweds!" Christina burbled. "How are we this morning."

"We're okay." I told her. "Sorry we had to get married on your birthday Chris"

"Don't be silly!" Christina replied. "I had a perfect day. See you in a bit."

When we finished our meal we rang Room Service to collect the tray and after putting it outside we took our bags downstairs and left them at reception while we said goodbye to our wedding guests.

"I'm going to miss you." Hayley said, giving me a hug. "Almost as much as your cottage pie."

"Are you going to be okay." I asked. Hayley's eyes welled

"I don't know Lynn." she said. "I still love him even after all these years."

I gave her another hug then moved onto Claire who also had tears in her eyes.

"I never thanked you for sitting next to me in Science all those years ago." she said. "I don't know exactly where I would be if you hadn't but it wouldn't be here. Watching you get married. Having a second chance at love with Jeremy."

A tear glistened it's way down her face as she continued.

"In fact, I reckon for a couple of social outcasts we haven't done too badly. And where the heck is Millie anyway?"

We exchanged a sobering look. When Claire's parents marriage collapsed she had fallen into a bad crowd, who weren't too bothered when they eventually divorced. It hadn't been an easy friendship at the start but we overcame our differences in the end

Millie on the other hand was currently in a wheelchair for the rest of her life after a high speed crash whilst on drugs which had not only paralysed her but claimed the life of her passenger - another member of her gang. She had finally secured the fame she'd craved in high school just not what she'd wanted.

I noticed Cassie in the Great Hall and went across to her. Remembering what Claire had been through triggered a thought in my mind. There was only one reason David would talk to Hayley.

"Cass, I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate question but you and David. Are you still married?"

Cassie shook her head

February 12, 2019 11:44 am  #8

I felt my shoulders deflate a little. I tried to think of something to say, but all I could think of was 'I'm sorry'. Which at that particular time wasn't very helpful.

Cassie must have guessed what I was thinking because she replied for me;

"Me too." She paused and then continued "You and your family, you've been the best in-laws I could ever want."

She walked away looking emotionally drained.

"My forecast was about right." I said to Daniela. "Not that I'm particularly proud of it given the circumstances."

We exchanged a private look.

"I'm disappointed in my brother." I carried on. "When I was eight, he convinced my parents to let me play Doom. Even if he couldn't understand why. So I know if he wanted to fight for his marriage he would have done."

"I didn't know Cassie very well." Daniela said. "But I do know her respect for you. She wouldn't want us to be too sad for her. She'd want us to enjoy our honeymoon."

"Yes, she would" I said with a soft smile

"Here's where we're going." Daniela showed me some drone footage on her phone of Pendennis Castle on the south coast. It was on a hilltop with a lovely view over the sea and a bench in prime position.

Thirty six hours later we were getting ready to leave our holiday cottage to watch our first sunset as a couple.

"Have you got the.." Daniela started to ask me and then broke off into giggles as I held up the torch and a blanket.

She grabbed a flask of hot chocolate and after locking the door we walked out to the bench and arranged ourselves.

Accepting my mug of hot chocolate I took a sip and both of us quietly waited for the sun to disappear over the horizon. I thought of Cassie and Evelyn and what their life would be like without David. I thought of my best friends and the happy times we'd had together.

But most of all I thought of my new wife. My everything. And many more moments like this. The wind had picked up slightly since we'd sat down so I took my long hair out of its ponytail allowing the wind to gently ruffle through it.

The sun had now reached the distant ocean gleaming red as it went looking like a giant red ball. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a tear gently run down Daniela's face.

I had too much love and respect for her to tease her for crying so I simply took my hand in hers and we both silently played with each others fingers as the sun went down

Last edited by reptongeek (February 12, 2019 4:30 pm)

March 12, 2019 11:40 am  #9

Eighteen months later

"Try down there Dan." I told her as we slowly drove into the hotel car park.

"An Uncle Jo space." Daniela grinned.

"One space to the right and one to the left." we both recited in unison.

"Also useful in windy conditions so you don't accidentally twonk the car next to you when you get out." I continued.

We parked the car and started to get the bags out of the back. It was very cold as an unexpected snow storm had landed in Oxford where Claire and Jeremy were having their wedding about ten days earlier. It had melted luckily allowing us to arrive for the festivities but the cold snap in the air was still present.

"I'm actually crying now because it's so cold." Daniela said as she knocked her boots together to clear off the snow. She wiped away her falling tear as a second one fell down her opposite cheek.

"Let's get inside." I suggested.

"Good idea." She wiped off the second tear and we walked inside and the warm interior of the hotel which was most welcoming.

"Aye up." Adam the receptionist greeted us as we approached the desk. We had been at this hotel before celebrating our anniversary and rather ironically Adam had checked us in on that occasion too.

"Back by popular demand." Daniela joked. We quickly checked in and dumped our bags into our room so we could get warm by the fire.

"Hello Lynn." a male voice hailed me. I didn't recognize the voice but he was ready to tell me

"I was James for your high school prom." He reminded me.

"Of course." I introduced him to Daniela and we all sat down.

Jeremy then came over and after the introductions he leant over to me.

"Can I borrow you for a few minutes."

"I'll send you a text if I move." Daniela told me.

I followed Jeremy to the bridal suite where Claire was waiting.

"Lynn, my mum wants to speak to you about something."

Last edited by reptongeek (April 1, 2019 4:50 pm)

April 1, 2019 5:46 pm  #10

Author's Note

I was originally going to a mumzilla plotline but changed my mind later. Enjoy this next part.

I was immediately petrified as I knew Claire's mum didn't suffer fools gladly and could be quite a formidable personality. To be fair so could Claire's Dad and this was one of the reasons why her parents got divorced. Two people with very strong opinions obviously didn't mix well.

One of the things me and Daniela had learned whilst adjusting to married life was to be more open and honest with each other, which initially we didn't consider because we were both such agreeable souls. But while this was okay for a couple who only spent a several hours together for three or four days a week, living together required us to adapt and discuss things a lot more. I wouldn't have described our first year as tough but it had been a little harder than we thought.

These things all mulled over in my mind as I walked to the room where Mrs Tuttle was staying. I'd always called her that ever since our first meeting eight years ago and despite my close friendship with Claire she'd never gave me permission to call her anything else.

"What can I do for you, Mrs Tuttle?" I asked when she opened the door and motioned me to come in.

"My future son-in-law." she began. "Is he a suitable husband for Claire. Will he make her happy?"

I inwardly breathed a sigh of relief.

"He's never loved anyone else." I told her truthfully. "He's been wanting this since we were all in high school."

That was all she wanted to know and now suitably pleased she allowed me to go and return to the bridal suite. Along the way a voice hailed me from behind.

"Tom how was your journey."

"Long!" he described succinctly. "We got stuck in a huge traffic jam on the motorway so I diverted through the side streets."

Tom was Hayley's fiancee. They had got engaged purely by accident on the same day as Claire and Jeremy. Due to the fact they wanted a summer wedding like mine and Daniela's they graciously allowed Claire and Jeremy to go first.

My brother David wasn't altogether happy about this arrangement. After his divorce from Cassie he had hoped to pick up with Hayley where he'd left off but Hayley had decided she needed to live her life again and find someone new and that's when she'd met Tom. After my wedding they had briefly separated but resumed their relationship when David couldn't give her an adequate explanation as to why his fateful one night stand with Cassie had taken place.

"Dan is in the lounge if you want to say hi." I told him. At that moment my phone bleeped with a text message from her. She had met a young boy who liked to play Snakes and Ladders and had moved to the games room

"See you at the rehearsal." Tom said as he set off.

I reported back to the bridal suite where Claire was pleased that my meeting with her mum had been successful.

Hayley arrived shortly afterwards and we spent the next hour going over final details. We then parted so we could have a brief rest before the rehearsal.

"Who won the snakes and ladders tournament." I asked Daniela when I returned to my room.

"Callum did." she informed me with a grin. She gave me a mug of green tea and placed her own mug of hot chocolate on the side while she sat on the bed next to me and took her boots off. She'd purchased them shortly before our wedding and they really were beautiful boots. Plus I liked the raspy sound the zip made as it was pulled.

"What's the plan?" she asked as she took a sip of her drink.

"The wedding rehearsal is at 5. We're then going to check the tables in the main hall and finish them off with the books and table names. Then tomorrow I'm going down to the bridal suite to get ready." I paused.

"I'm sorry Dan. You must feel you've been in a perpetual state of wedding planning for the last two and a half years. We made an agreement to be each others bridesmaids when we were younger and unattached without realising what it would be like for our partners to attend three back to back weddings."

She took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Well it does feel like that a little bit." she confessed. "But I do like your best friends. They mean so much to you it would be churlish of me to complain."

My eyes filled with tears at my wife's understanding speech. I put down my mug wiped away a stray tear that had trickled down my cheek and kissed her on the mouth

Board footera