You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2019 2:01 am  #1

Obs: Crying duration change

Lately, I notice that when I cry it's usually for a few short minutes and then nothing.  I'll break down and the tears will flow, and I'll either sob or  moan a bit.  It's deep crying, right from my gut, but as soon as it comes, it's suddenly gone before I can grab a tissue or hanky.   I used to be able to cry for about twenty or thirty minutes, minimum five or ten.  But lately I can't cry for longer than two or three minutes.  I do feel relief when it's over, which is good but I sometimes wish I could cry longer.  I don't force myself to keep crying when  I'm done, I just allow whatever happens.  But it is interesting that ever since my dad died last year, my crying spell durations have changed in this way.
Have any of you noticed a change in crying routines over the years or after something significant?  Just curious.  Feel free to share below!!! 

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long." --Johnny Depp
"Cry to me...let it come, let it bleed...reach in and get it, and set it free." --Heart

August 1, 2019 2:15 am  #2

Re: Obs: Crying duration change

The other way around, when something really bad happens, I may cry stronger or longer, not the usual way.

August 1, 2019 2:37 am  #3

Right???  You would think that would be the case with me, that I'd cry longer now than I used to before my dad died, but for some reason it's just this short spurt of tears and then nothing.  I guess there's something to be said about quality over quantity but wow.  

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long." --Johnny Depp
"Cry to me...let it come, let it bleed...reach in and get it, and set it free." --Heart

August 4, 2019 7:17 am  #4

I definitely cry more now. I had a period of anxiety/depression during which I cried a lot, but now that I'm not suffering from that anymore, I still cry much more easily than I used to. My hypothesis is that I feel very comfortable crying in front of my husband and instinctively easily seek out his comfort when I'm upset, which triggers tears. But I also tear up if I'm reading something or watching a movie alone, which, while this has always happened, occurs much more readily than it used to. When I was a teenager/early 20s, I would often wish I could just sob really hard for more than 30 seconds to let out emotion, but it rarely ever happened. It's nice to be able to do that now.

Board footera